How is Amington Heath Primary School supporting children and families during the Covid19 pandemic?
The government closed schools on the 20th March 2020. Amington Heath Primary School worked quickly to put in place systems and process to support the wellbeing, safety and education of our children and families.
During closure, we remained open to vulnerable children and children of key workers. This was approximately 10 per day. These children received a combination of childcare and education.
Remote learning has been provided for all children learning from home and parents have been encouraged to share that learning with class teachers who respond accordingly. This has been a combination of paper based learning packs, web based learning and special projects and challenges. We have also set up a school YouTube challenge where we share learning videos and story time.
From June 1st, the government asked schools to open to children in nursery, reception, Year one and Year six. We devised safe systems and procedures to offer a place to all children in these year groups who wished to return.
Although the government redacted plans for all children before summer, at Amington Heath we felt it was important to get year children back as soon as possible. We were able to do this safely from 22nd June, when we also opened up to 2 and 3 year olds.
We continue to offer places to vulnerable and key worker children in all year groups. We have not had to turn away any children. We now have 55% of children in eligible year groups attending school. Which is above the national average.
During this time of (partial) closure, we have continued to remain in regular contact with all families, particularly those we think are more vulnerable. We have provided food parcels – breakfast lunch and dinner – every week and delivered these to families who are unable to collect. We have to date, distributed over 2,688 food parcels!
- The safeguarding policy had a Covid 19 addendum added 30th March 2020. This was then revised 19 June 2020.
- All vulnerable children (regardless of year group) have been offered places in school.
- Contact is made with all families every week.
- All vulnerable families to have a twice weekly safeguarding check in via phone.
- The e-learning and social media policies have been amended in light of Covid 19 and home learning. Information has been sent home to parents and children.
Health and Safety
- The Business Continuity Plan was revised in light of wider reopening from 1st June.
- Risk assessments have been carried out for generic working, individual bubbles, forest school, staff and office areas.
- Individual risk assessments have been carried out for all individuals who are more vulnerable or live with more vulnerable individuals.
- All children's care plans have annotated and updated in light of Covid 19.
- Health and safety, fire and first aid policies have Covid 19 adjustments.
- Covid 19 requirement for contractors has been generated and shared
- All areas of school have hygiene checklists for signing off.
Free School Meals
- We are currently providing free school meal hampers to 42 families. (64 children) This consists of bread, cheese, butter, crisps, snack, potatoes, beans, jelly, yogurt, fruit.
- Where hampers are not appropriate families receive food vouchers instead of hampers
- All 45 families also receive a weekly Farm Fresh hamper (fresh meat, eggs, fruit and veg) and a fortnightly breakfast hamper (bagels, cereal, porridge, beans, fruit juice)
- We also provide an additional food and supplies (donated) which we offer to all families. This is usually bread, cakes, tins, dry good, toiletries, fruit, vegetables.
- Whre families are not able to collect food hampers we endeavour to deliver where possible.
- All children who are not attending school, or those attending but bringing a packed lunch, are still receiving free school meal hampers or vouchers.
- We are still providing home learning for children in all year groups.
- Fortnightly home learning is set on the website and links to online learning resources for English and Maths and activities for the wider curriculum.
- Staff respond to correspondence from children and parents working from home.
- We provide weekly paper based learning packs for all families who do not have internet access
- Every child attending an Early Year class in September 2020 has been issued a special transition pack – a series of learning challenges based around a book and supported by learning videos through our YouTube challenge.
- Every class will be set a summer transition challenge.
- Every child will be invited into school for a safe and socially distance end of year transition event.
How do parents think we have done?
‘Alice is loveing being back at school, she has missed everyone, i believe you are doing your best to keep our children safe, alice loves her bubble and all her friends in it, she can't wait to come in today ❤ x’
‘My two have been so happy in both the key working group and now being back properly!!! I have no complaints from the girls and I personally think you’ve done a grand job with the re jig!!! 🙌🏻’
‘Dan seems happy to be back. As he's year 6 I felt it important that he got back into as normal routine as possible during this time. Being lucky enough to see what happens behind the scenes I was 100% confident the children would be as safe as you could make them.’
‘Tyler prefers it he says it’s more fun than normal school. I’m So happy he is enjoying it as I’m not gonna lie I was really worried about sending him back. Not just because of the virus but because of all the single playing and the social distancing but from photos and what he’s telling me he looks like he’s enjoying being back to a normality. Thanks to all at amington heath you really are going above and beyond for all the children and the parents too. Xxx’
What a fantastic school
Riley and Rayden said thank you 💗💗
It's such a challenging time for everyone and I would like to thank Amington Heath for all their commitment and support to all children and families through this, so a big thanks from us, you are all true amington aliens for you resilience and determination 👽💝😇
Thank you .. this school and the teachers and just amazing. All going out of your way to help children and families.. just brilliant xx
Thank you soo much guys also the work pack for my daughter that's in nursery was super fun and interesting. Your a amazing school with amazing staff stay safe ❤️❤️❤️
Thank you to all the staff 👏👏❤️❤️ xxxx legends 💗 hope u heard them claps far and wide last night @8pm cuz they too were for you 💕 xxxx
Please find below links to school specific information.
Information for Parents
Covid19 Risk assessments
Please also note that we have made amendments to our safeguarding, e-safety, social media, communication, behaviour policies. These can be found on out policies page.